For a couple of weeks I started cultivating WATER KEFIR again and I'm absolutely in love with it! fermentation is such a powerful process. And the great thing is contrary to what most recipes say you can produce water kefir without adding any sugar!
WHAT IS WATER KEFIR?
a probiotic carbonated drink made from water kefir grains also called japan crystals. a natural supplier of probiotics to our digestive track. Probiotics refers to the healthy bacteria that
usually feed on the “bad” unhealthy bacteria in our stomach and intestines.
1 big jar ( for about 1 l of water + a little more space)
1 wood/ platic spoon
1 plastic sieve
1-2 tbsp kefir cultures = japan crystals
2-3 fine slices of organic lemon
dried fruits: 1 tbsp raisins OR 1-2 figs OR 3 dried apricots OR 2-3 dates
basically you can use any dried fruit.
1) poor 3/4- 1 liter of water into a fresh clean glas or plastic jar (no metal)
2) 1-2 tbsp add in the japan crystals
3) add in the rest of the ingredients
4) close the lid lightly NOT fully air needs to get in an out.
5) leave it in a nice and cozy spot at room temperature but don't move the jar around it needs to stand still for the time of the fermentation.
6) you can enjoy your kefir after 24-48h hours of fermentation.
- touch the kefir grains with metal items or with your bare hands
- leave it to ferment more than 48h it makes the kefir 'starve'
water kefir crystals feed on sugar, on fruit sugar or normal household sugar.
HOW TO CONTINUE
your water kefir crystals will grow very fast. you need to either throw some of them away or give them to friends and family and get them exited about water kefir as well!
Depending on the temperature you need to let them ferment for 24-48 hours. Also depending on how 'strong' you likt them. I personally like it medium, wich is about 1 day and a couple of hours, depends on when I get to change the water :)
Before using the kefir crystals again make sure to 'wash' them with clear water. you can do that in a seperate jar of water, just make sure it does not get in contact with metal.
If you have any questions feel free to ask in the comments!:)